General Information

San Bernardino Superior Court provides interpreters for all courtroom proceedings in all case types as resources are available.

Requests or cancelations for an interpreter should be made to the Court as early as possible, and the required minimum notification times for interpreter services are below:

  Requests Cancelations
Spanish 2 Court Days in Advance 1 Court Day in Advance
All Other Languages 5 Court Days in Advance 2 Court Days in Advance

Local Rule No. 332 provides these timeframes and is posted on the court’s website under Local Rules.

Court interpreters do not help parties fill out or file their court forms.

Whenever possible, the court provides a state certified or state registered interpreter to interpret for Limited English Proficient (LEP) persons in their court proceeding. Since there is a shortage of certified and registered interpreters statewide, sometimes the court may instead provide an interpreter who has been provisionally qualified by the Court.

How can I get an interpreter assigned for my court case?

You should inform the Court that you need an interpreter as far as possible in advance of the hearing. If an interpreter is not requested in advance or is not available, the case may be delayed or continued by the Court until one can be assigned. To avoid delay, the Court may be able to appoint a “temporary interpreter” (adult family member or friend) at the request of the Limited English Proficient (LEP) person. At the request of the party, the Court may consider appointing a qualified interpreter provided by the party.

Search for an Interpreter

The Judicial Council’s website has a statewide roster of certified and registered interpreters authorized to work in California courts.

What is the Difference Between a Certified and a Registered Interpreter?

Certified Court Interpreters:
The Judicial Council requires court interpreters in the following languages to pass a certification exam: ASL, Arabic, Eastern Armenian, Western Armenian, Cantonese, Farsi, Japanese, Khmer (Cambodian), Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. Only interpreters who pass the Court Interpreter Certification Examination and complete the requirements are referred to as certified interpreters. Certified languages may change periodically, depending on the results of studies of language use in the courts and other administrative factors.

Registered Court Interpreters:
Court interpreters of languages not listed above are eligible to pursue status as a “registered court interpreter.” Registered court interpreters are required to pass the Written Exam, and the Oral Proficiency Exam in English, and an Oral Proficiency Exam in their non-English language. The Oral Proficiency Exams in English and non- English languages assess the candidate’s functional ability to communicate in that language. All exams for both certified and registered status are administered under contract by an approved testing entity as required under Government Code §68562(b).

What if I need an interpreter that speaks sign language?

The Court will provide you with a sign language interpreter for any court hearing or court business you may have. Please notify the court of your request as far in advance as possible. The Court will also provide you with a sign language interpreter if you are called for jury duty. Please contact Jury Administration, before your jury service, if you will need a sign language interpreter. For more information on this and other Access and Accommodation needs please visit the American with Disabilities (ADA) page on this site.

Where can I get more information on becoming an Interpreter?

For all languages, see the Court Interpreters Program (CIP) and the links on the left. For more information on the credentials available for American Sign Language (ASL) court interpreters, see the Bulletin for Interpreters on the Texas ASL Court Interpreter Certification.

Language Access Complaint Process

If you have a complaint or feedback about language access services at San Bernardino Superior Court, please follow the Language Access Services Complaints Procedure (see the left side of this page, click on Language Access Services Complaints). You may also contact the court’s Language Access Representative directly at 909-708-8816 or

Video Remote Interpreting Services

Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) services are available to the public with hearings scheduled at some locations. VRI uses audio and video equipment to provide court users with spoken or sign language interpreting through the use of an off-site interpreter. On an individual basis, the Court will determine if a case event is appropriate for VRI. This program was made possible through the Judicial Council of California’s Signage and Technology Grant Program.

If you have recently participated in a VRI session, please fill our Video Remote Interpreting Survey on this page's Navigational Menu (Left Side for PCs, Above for Mobile Devices).

After you complete the survey, send it to:

San Bernardino Superior Court
247 W. Third Street
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0302
Attention: Interpreter Services